Saturday 16 May 2015

Rediscovering My Roots



It has been quite long since I have written something worth sharing, but, today I think I found one. It is 2:47am of 17th May, 2015 and I just finished watching the movie Piku. I really enjoyed it. It reminded me of Kolkata. I despise that city for countless reasons, say, the incomparable pollution, noise, heat and humidity and of course the short temperedness of the general public. Still, when I saw this movie it reminded me of my roots. I miss two cities most – first, Bareilly, the town I grew up in, and, second is Kolkata. 


Fresh Coconuts for sale

Why?
I am not really sure whether I can satisfactorily answer this question or not as I haven’t lived there, just had been there for some short visits. The first reason that pulls me towards the city is the COCONUT WATER, dab, that is what we call it in Bengali. Second, being the feeling that I have so many relatives close by, my grandparents (whom I call Tata-Titi), my maashi (aunt) whom I call mashimuni and so many countless names.

Architecture of the British Era
 
Moreover, being a civil engineering student, my next point is worth mentioning – the design of the old houses there really gives you the essence of a peaceful and calm Indian household.
The market of Shyambazar is also in a class of its own. The unique thing that resides in its class is that you will hardly find any showroom of Adidas, reebok, nike, sony or brands like that, still it is unique because of the immense variety of items and goods it holds. The traditional stuff in quite reasonable rate and believe me all kind of stuffs.
College street is special for the books it holds, both second hand and new.It is one of my favorites.
My grandparent’s abode is in Harighosh Street, Shyambazar. Whenever I visit there I somewhat like the smell of the air, I won’t call it aroma as I already mentioned how polluted the air has become, still I like it. Sometime when the vendors pass by selling their stuff, the way they go around the boulevard calling for customers, define a tradition in its own way.

Durga Puja

Yes, the Durga Puja, those who haven’t visited Kolkata at the time of Navaratras, somewhat in or near the month of October, I highly recommend them to have the experience by personally being there. It is mesmerizing to see the countless ways how you can design not only the Goddess, her sibling and the asura, but, also the pandals (wherein they lie). It is awesome. You can’t believe your eyes until you see it as they seem to be made of pure masonry, concrete and RCC, but actually being made from panels of woodwork with different kinds of cloth and sheets. 

Temporary Handcrafted Pandals

I may have not been able to give you an accurate description because that wasn’t my motive from the very beginning. My motive was to simply share my views and recommendations.
Every city has its pros and cons, some appreciable and some not much appreciable traditions, customs and ways of living. When you visit any, try not to let the later one bother you, just fulfill the reason of your visit, ENJOY IN WHATSOEVER WAY YOU CAN.

1 comment:

  1. Nostalgic view. Feeling pleasure to share with you. Continue to write and share things like this.

    ReplyDelete